Looking for ways to conserve energy during this cold winter weather? Here are some tips from Atmos Energy that may help!
- Lower your thermostat to 68 degrees during the day and 58 degrees when you are away from home.
- Lower your water heater temperature to 120 degrees or set your temperature dial to normal or medium. Water heating accounts for as much as 25 percent of the energy consumed in your home.
- Unplug electronic devices and turn off lights that are not in use.
- Reduce your shower time and take baths only when necessary. Showering and bathing can account for 40 percent of your home's hot water use.
- Operate your clothes washer, dryer, and dishwasher only when fully loaded.
- Keep your fireplace damper closed unless a fire is burning. Leaving the damper open is like keeping a window wide open – warm air goes right up the chimney!
- If you have a pool, do not use the pool heater. Instead, run your pool pump during the coldest part of the day to circulate the water and prevent freezing.
Read our Energy Saving Tips brochure to learn more.