Documents for Platting
- Every request for a subdivision plat review must be submitted via the Plat Application and must have original signatures.
- A pre-application conference must occur before official submittal
- A submittal is not considered administratively complete until all materials as indicated on the application are provided
Coordination with Zoning
- When the zoning classification is not consistent with the proposed development a Zoning Change Application must be submitted.
Plat Review Checklist
- A Plat Review Checklist assists in preparation of all plats. The checklist must be completed and included in the plat submittal package.
- Plat Fees will be determined upon the Fees and Use Schedule.
Owner’s Certificate, Title Blocks, & Signatures Required on Plats
- Owner’s Certificates required on plats are described in the Plat Certificates document.
- Title Blocks required on plats are described in the Title Block Formats document.
- Signatures required on plats are described in the Signature Blocks for Plats document.
- All surveys and utility construction projects must use the Town of Westlake GPS Controls/Survey Benchmarks.
- All submittals including application and plat drawings must be submitted digitally via email
- Plats will not be accepted by courier.
Plat Classification in General
Applicants should check with the Planning and Development Director to determine if a proposed subdivision plat will be reviewed as a preliminary plat, final plat, minor plat, development plat, conveyance plat, a replat, amended plat, or a plat vacation. The type of plat may also be determined at a pre-platting conference.
Preliminary Site Evaluation
- Allows evaluation of the proposed development
- Require for all major subdivisions prior to the construction of improvements
- Is NOT a preliminary or final plat
- Time limits applicable to plats do not apply to a preliminary site evaluation
- Requires Planning and Zoning Commission and Town Council Approval
- Required for all subdivisions of property
- Prepared in accordance with approved preliminary site evaluation
- Requires Planning and Zoning Commission and Town Council approval
- Preliminary site evaluation not required
- Subdivision does not encompass more than four tracts or lots, which do not require extension of municipal utilities
- Subdivided land does not alter utility installations, drainage, streets, or building setbacks
- All lots front an existing street
- Lots conform to other lots and maintain the same zoning
- Requires approval of Town Staff
- Once a plat has been approved by Town Staff or Town Council a plat may be ready to file with its respective county jurisdiction.
- Public Improvements must be accepted before filing of a plat.
- Applicants must provide Tax Certificates and the approved plat with owner’s signatures and surveyor or engineer’s seal to the Town.
- The Town will acquire additional town signatures and file the plat at the respective county.
Processing of Plat Application
The Planning and Development Director will coordinate the review of subdivision plats with other Town Departments. No subdivision plat will be considered until the subdivision plat application, all required documents, and all plat fees have been received. The Town is authorized three weeks to complete review of all construction plans.
When the staff review is complete, written comments will be provided to the applicant identifying items requiring response. Written responses to each comment must be received from the applicant before the plat is scheduled for review by the Planning and Zoning Commission and Town Council, where necessary.
For More Info
- Refer to our codes of ordinances for more information regarding platting procedures.